Sunday, July 02, 2006


Not much new knitting happening this week, it has been the week from hell as far as work goes and the kids are silly busy this time of year so loads of ferrying around etc to be done, but I did tidy out my blanket box which hides part of the stash and found a knitted and felted bag which was waiting to be put together.
I made it a while ago from leftovers of Jaeger 4ply merino and Kid Silk Haze, held together.
The KSH helped to felt the finer wool and mutes the colours. I bought a bag shaper insert from SWTC a while ago and used that aswell. The bag has now been in use since Thursday and is a nice little summery number which goes with at least two pairs of flip-flops and a pair of sandals, so no excuse to buy new shoes to go with it (huh).


I then decided to do a bit of indulgent knitting so I made a sock with some of the yummy Angora blend I splurged on at the AY weekend, the pattern is from Interweave Winter 2005 and is the Embossed leaves socks designed by Mona Schmidt.
Angora is definately a yarn to knit outside since the bits kept getting up my nose indoors and its lightweight enough to knit on the hottest of days (like today). The finished sock is so light (15 grammes) and fluffy and soft I even cast on the second one straight away. The lightness of the sock means I'll get another out of the 50g ball and probably a pair of shorty socks too or I might make a pair of matching fingerless gloves or wristwarmers. and since I have another whole ball too, a scarf would be the obvious follow on but I do still have several other things to finish aswell
so I might just have to save the Angora for garden knitting over the summer.....

Off now to do some more of the sleeves for MIL's cardi since she needs it finished by next Friday for her hols.

6 comments:

Melody said...

I love the felted bag - it's wonderful! Socks are really yummy too.

Debs xx

dianemulholland said...

Gorgeous socks! Does the angora yarn wear well? I've never tried it on socks. Love the buttons on the bag :-)

Catknit said...

Don't know how well the socks will wear so I did a reinforced heel (k1, sl 1 on the knit rows and purl back) the toes can be frogged back and reknitted if they wear out. but since these will be my around the house and not for inside shoes tyoe of socks, they should last for a while!

Badger said...

Was that the 4 ply or the DK angora you used - I can't remember which you got. i've not used any of mine yet, but seeing yours I'm tempted to cast on for my own bit of fluffy luxury!

The bag is lovely too :)

Catknit said...

its the 4 ply but no reason why you couldn't do dk from another pattern

Badger said...

Mine's the 4 ply too - I've not found the right pattern yet though...